STAT10x9.20.05Probability2

STAT10x9.20.05Probability2 - Probability in Practice (The...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–3. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Probability in Practice (The trick is knowing when to apply which probability rule!) Suggestions : Read the Textbook. I like it. Do problems in book. They have solutions. Make a picture. This helps to clarify sample spaces. Do some more problems. Example : An Entertainment Weekly poll taken over the weekend showed that people’s choice for Emmy for best drama was (voters could pick only one show) Lost 44% Six Feet Under 17% 24(?) 18% The West Wing 11% Suggestion : Check to see if probabilities satisfy requirements : Let A be the event that a person likes a particular show above. 1) For any event A , 1 ) ( 0 A P (all fine here) 2) 1 ) ( = S P (umm . . .) STAT 101-106 Introduction to Statistics 117
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Probabilities of events so far only add to 90%, so make a new category called ‘Other’ and assign it a probability of 10%. Question : what is the probability that a person picked at random would list ‘24’ or ‘The West Wing’ as best drama? Help : ‘or’ means P(A or B) . Use addition rule and then think about whether events are disjoint. P(24 or WestW) = P(24) + P(WestW)–P(24 and Westw) Last probability is zero since can’t have two favorite shows – i.e., these events are disjoint : P(24 and Westw)= 0. So : P(24 or WestW) = P(24) + P(WestW) = .18 + .11 = .29 Question : what is the probability that three randomly chosen people all pick “24” as their favorite show?
Background image of page 2
Image of page 3
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Page1 / 11

STAT10x9.20.05Probability2 - Probability in Practice (The...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 3. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online