an inconvenient truth

an inconvenient truth - Vu, John Biology 101, Section 3 MWF...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–2. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Vu, John Biology 101, Section 3 MWF 10:00-10:50 AM Final Exam Paper In An Inconvenient Truth (2006), Gore Sun's radiation comes in form of light rays passing through atmosphere and heats up the earth. Some of the radiation is absorbed by the earth radiates out of the earth, this is called infrared radiation, but some of the infrared radiation gets trapped in the atmosphere. This is good, however, greenhouse gases causes more infrared radiation to get trapped and results in global warming. Growing evidence suggests that increased emissions from industry, vehicles, and burning of forests increases greenhouse gases. CO 2 emissions have increased drastically since the industrial revolution and the unrestricted burning of fossil fuels. The burning of trees after deforestation to clear land in the tropics account for 20% of the excess of CO 2 emissions and fossil fuel burning is the cause of the other 80%. The estimated average CO 2 concentration in the atmosphere before 1850 was 274 parts per million, or ppm. However, currently the CO 2 concentration in the atmosphere is 370 ppm, and it is estimated that by the year 2075, atmospheric concentrations of CO 2 will double what it was initially at the start of the industrial revolution (Campbell, Reece, & Simon 2007). Three different ecosystems global warming affects are the coral reefs, pine trees, and the ecosystem together with the migratory bird. Gore (2006) discusses about the augmentation of the pine beetle numbers. Global warming has warmed up the winters which prevented the control of pine beetles numbers. The unbalanced number of pine beetles resulted in mass amounts of pine trees to die. Gore also discusses about coral reefs bleaching, due to global
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Image of page 2
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Page1 / 4

an inconvenient truth - Vu, John Biology 101, Section 3 MWF...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 2. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online