This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: er is rich in their decomposing organic material. The green iceberg did not contain large amounts of particles from these organisms, but the ice had accumulated dissolved organic matter from the seawater. It appears that unlike salt, dissolved organic substances are not excluded from the ice in the freezing process. Analysis shows that the dissolved organic material absorbs enough blue wavelengths from solar light to make the ice appear green.
7. Why does the author mention that “The green ice portion was textured by seawater erosion”? ○To explain why cracks in the iceberg appeared light green instead of dark green
○To suggest that green ice is more easily eroded by seawater than white ice is
○To support the idea that the green ice had been the bottom layer before capsizing
○To explain how the air bubbles had been removed from the green ice
8. The word accumulated in the passage is closest in meaning to ○collected
Mail@liuwenyong.com 在在在在在在 www.liuwenyong.com 在在在在在在在在在在在在在在在,在在在在在在在在在在 ○frozen
9. The word excluded in the passage is closest in meaning to ○kept out
Paragraph 6: Chemical evidence shows that platelets (minute flat portions) of ice form in the water and then accrete and stick to the bottom of the ice shelf to form a slush (partially melted snow). The slush is compacted by an unknown mechanism, and solid, bubblefree ice is formed from water high in soluble organic substances. When an iceberg separates from the ice shelf and capsizes, the green ice is exposed.
10. The word accrete in the passage is closest in meaning to ○advance
11. Which of the following is NOT explained in the passage? ○Why blocks of ice break off where glaciers meet the ocean
○Why blocks of shelf ice sometimes capsize after breaking off
○Why green icebergs are commonly produced in some parts of Antarctica
○Why green icebergs contain large amounts of dissolved organic pigments
12. The passage supports which of the following statements about the Amery Ice Shelf? ○The Amery Ice Shelf produces only green icebergs.
○The Amery Ice Shelf produces green icebergs because its ice contains high levels of metallic compounds such as copper and iron. ○The Amery Ice Shelf produces green icebergs because the seawater is rich in a particular kind of soluble organic material. ○No green icebergs are found far from the Amery Ice Shelf.
Paragraph 2: Icebergs are ordinarily blue to white, although they sometimes appear dark or opaque because they carry gravel and bits of rock. They may change color with changing light conditions and cloud cover, glowing pink or gold in the morning or evening light, but this color change is generally related to the low angle of the Sun above the horizon. ■ However, travelers to Antarctica have repeatedly reported seeing green icebergs in the Weddell S...
View Full Document
This note was uploaded on 09/17/2013 for the course LANGUAGE 13DL208 taught by Professor Wang during the Fall '13 term at East China Normal University.
- Fall '13