This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: proxy data have suggested all of the following about the climate EXCEPT: ○ Regional climates may change overtime.
○ The climate has changed very little in the past 10.000 years.
○ Global temperatures vary more than regional temperatures.
○ Important natural changes in climate have occurred over large timescales.
Paragraph 5 在 To the extent that the coverage of the global climate from these records can provide a measure of its 314
Mail@liuwenyong.com 在在在在在在 www.liuwenyong.com 在在在在在在在在在在在在在在在,在在在在在在在在在在
true variability, it should at least indicate how all the natural causes of climate change have combined. These include the chaotic fluctuations of the atmosphere, the slower but equally erratic behavior of the oceans, changes in the land surfaces, and the extent of ice and snow. Also included will be any variations that have arisen from volcanic activity, solar activity, and, possibly, human activities.
7. The word erratic in the passage is closest in meaning to ○ dramatic
8. All of the following are mentioned in paragraph 5 as natural causes of climate change EXCEPT ○ atmospheric changes
○ the slow movement of landmasses
○ fluctuations in the amount of ice and snow
○ changes in ocean activity
Paragraph 6在One way to estimate how all the various processes leading to climate variability will combine is by using computer models of the global climate. They can do only so much to represent the full complexity of the global climate and hence may give only limited information about natural variability. Studies suggest that t o date the variability in computer simulations is considerably smaller than in data obtained from the proxy records.
9. According to paragraph 6, which of the following is true of computer models of the global climate? ○ The information they produce is still limited.
○ They are currently most useful in understanding past climatic behaviors.
○ They allow researchers to interpret the data obtained from proxy records.
○ They do not provide information about regional climates
Paragraph 7 在 In addition to the internal variability of the global climate system itself, there is the added factor of external influences, such as volcanoes and solar activity .There is a growing body of opinion that both these physical variations have a measurable impact on the climate. Thus we need to be able to include these in our deliberations. Some current analyses conclude that volcanoes and solar activity explain quite a considerable amount of the observed variability in the period from the seventeenth to the early twentieth century’s, but that they cannot be invoked to explain the rapid warming in recent decades.
10. The word deliberations in the passage is closest in meaning to ○ records
11. The word invoked in the passage is closest in meaning to ○ demonstrated
○ called upon
View Full Document
This note was uploaded on 09/17/2013 for the course LANGUAGE 13DL208 taught by Professor Wang during the Fall '13 term at East China Normal University.
- Fall '13