Unformatted text preview: heir First Holy Communion, the children will renew their Baptismal
Promises which is a Profession of Faith summed up in the Apostles’ Creed. Therefore, the children
should memorize the Apostles’ Creed and have an understanding of these basic truths. Memorization
tool: There are three basic parts to the Apostles’ Creed: the section on God the Father, God the Son
and God the Holy Spirit.
9. It is appropriate to be quiet when visiting a Catholic Church because Jesus is present in the tabernacle and
we want to speak to and listen to Him. We also want to show respect for those who are praying in Church
by maintaining an atmosphere of prayerful silence. (CCC 1185) August 6th, 2009
Transfiguration of our Lord Diocese of La Crosse Page 18 of 22 Grade 2
10. Children need to develop a habit of personal prayer both in the morning and the evening, encouraged by
parents at home and a consistent commitment of prayer in class.
11. The Rosary is a wonderful form of prayer by which we meditate upon the mysteries of Christ’s life and
ask for Mary’s intercession. (CCC 971, 2678, 2708, 1674)
12. The Stations of the Cross are a devotion we pray during Lent. These Stations follow the fourteen steps of
Our Lord’s intense suffering that concludes with His crucifixion, death and burial. (CCC 1674)
• Children can learn to recite and/or sing selected communal prayers and responses of the Mass:
• Responses to the Greeting and Penitential Rite
• Responses to the Readings and the Gospel
• Response to the Intercessions
• Response to the Preparation of Gifts and the
• Eucharistic Preface
• Holy, Holy, Holy
• Memorial Acclamation
• Great Amen
• Our Father
• Response to Sign of Peace
• Lamb of God
• Final Blessing and Dismissal Recommended Bible Stories, Prayer Books, and Other Spiritual Reading
New Catholic Picture Bible (Catholic Book Publishing Co)
Pray Always, Rev. Lawrence G. Lovasik, S.V.D. (Catholic Book Publishing Co)
The Way of the Cross for Children (Catholic Book Publishing Co.)
My First Prayer Book, Sr. Karen Cavanagh C.S.J., (Regina Press)
My Rosary (Daughters of St. Paul)
The Angels: God’s Messengers and Our Helpers,
Rev. Lawrence G. Lovasik, S.V.D.
(Catholic Book Publishing Co)
Stations of the Cross, Rev. Lawrence G. Lovasik, S.V.D. (Catholic Book Publishing Co)
My Path to Heaven, Caryll Houselander (Sophia Press)
Everyday Graces, A Child’s Book of Good Manners, Karen Santorum (ISA Books)
Catholic Bible Stories, First Communion Edition, Ann Ball with Julianne M. Will
(Our Sunday Visitor)
The New Saint Joseph First Communion Catechism (Catholic Book Publishing Co)
Act of Contrition
O my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended Thee, and I detest all my sins because of Thy just
punishment, but most of all because they offend Thee, my God, who art all good and deserving of all my love.
I firmly resolve with the help of Thy grace to sin no more and to avoid the near occasion of sin. Amen.
(From Appendix A, Common Pr...
View Full Document
This note was uploaded on 09/23/2013 for the course RELIGION Religion taught by Professor Hansel during the Fall '13 term at Pacelli High School, Stevens Point.
- Fall '13