This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: t.
He golfed well again, as in the tournament last year.
He served as Captain in the navy.
Less than/under – Less than is the correct expression when making a comparison of number or amount. Under is limited to
describing spatial relationships.
I will host the party if the guest list is less than ﬁfty people.
More than/over – More than is the correct expression when making a comparison of number or amount. Over is limited to describing
spatial relationships. www.manhattanreview.com c 1999 - 2008 Manhattan Review Sentence Correction Guide – Sentence Correction 48 We processed more than 1,000 applications in one hour.
Student Notes: 2.4 What to Do If You Are Completely Stumped Sometimes you may ﬁnd yourself with one or more answer choices which seem to be correct. If you have followed Manhattan
Review’s six-step process for Sentence Correction and still ﬁnd yourself to be lost, take a step back and think about the answer
Read the answers back into the sentence, again
• You should have already done this, but if you are still stumped, do it again. Remember that a correct answer retains the
meaning of the original sentence. You may be analyzing an answer choice which changes the idea which the author wished to
convey. Make sure that word order has not been switched in the answer to suggest a different meaning.
Shorter is better
• Wordy or long-winded ways of expressing thoughts are often not the best means of expression. Sometimes the best answer is
the one with the fewest words.
Eliminate answers with passive voice
• You will seldom encounter a correct answer that employs the use of the passive voice. While use of the passive voice is not in
and of itself grammatically incorrect, expressing an idea actively is preferable. Given the choice between The ball was hit by
me and I hit the ball, the latter is the better choice.
• The best answer should be clear and concise. An answer which repeats elements of the sentence unnecessarily is incorrect.
Don’t choose the answer with being
• Don’t choose such answer if there are options which don’t include the word being. Unless you are positive that being is a
necessary and useful part of the sentence, it is probably just confusing the issue and is better left out.
If you review the rules discussed in the Grammar Review section and follow the six-steps for Sentence Correction questions, you
should have little trouble identifying the best answer among your choices. www.manhattanreview.com c 1999 - 2008 Manhattan Review Sentence Correction Guide – Sentence Correction 2.5 49 Detailed List of Typical Errors Based on our close examination of all the Sentence Correction problems in the Ofﬁcial Guides and released old exams, we compiled
the following list for your easy reference.
TIP: PLEASE FOCUS YOUR INITIAL ATTENTION ON BASIC GRAMMAR ELEMENTS ONLY - SUBJECT, VERB
AND OBJECT. Then examine the sentence in detail. That way you will not get bogged down by verbia...
View Full Document