This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: uires two people, forward tapeperson, rear tapeperson)
2) Applying Tension : For accurate results, the tape must be straight and the
two ends held at the same elevation.
3) Plumbing : the tape is held above ground in a horizontal position.
the tape is held above ground in horizontal position
4) Marking tape lengths : The marked point is checked by repeating the
measurement until certainty of its correct location is assured.
5) Reading the tape : Add/Cut tape
6) Recording the distance Eo Y. D., Department of Technology Fusion, copyright® Direct Distance Surveying
– Measuring on slanted ground
• Stepping : divide the section which requires measurement in steps
divide the section which requires measurement in steps
and measure each division by laying the measuring tape
wide steps sagging occurs with narrow steps the probability
• With wide steps, sagging occurs, with narrow steps, the probability
of error introduction increases
• Convert to horizontal distance after measuring slope distance
D = L cosθ
D = L2 H 2 Eo Y. D., Department of Technology Fusion, copyright® Sources of Error in Taping
Instrumental errors because of a defect in manufacture or repair or kinks.
Natural errors because of the effects of temperature, wind and weight of tape.
Personal errors • Elements of systematic Error in taping
– Erroneous tape length
slope Eo Y. D., Department of Technology Fusion, copyright® Incorrect Length of Tape
Through extensive use, tapes do become kinked, stretched, and repaired. An
error caused by incorrect length of tape occurs each time the tape is used If
error caused by incorrect length of a tape occurs each time the tape is used. If
the true length, known by standardization, is not exactly equal to its nominal
⎛ l − l′ ⎞
Cl = ⎜
⎝ l′ ⎠
L = Lm + C l Cl is the correction to be applied to the measured length of a line to obtain the
true length, l the actual tape length l’ the nominal tape length, and Lm the
measured length of line
measured length of line. Eo Y. D., Department of Technology Fusion, copyright® Temperature Other than Standard
Tapes may be expanded or contracted by temperature. The length can become
something other than that specified.
something other than that specified. Ct = α (T − Ts )Lm
L = Lm + Ct
Ct is the correction in the length of a line caused by nonstandard temperature,
α the coefficient of thermal expansion and contraction of the tape, Ts the tape
temperature at time of measurement, T the tape temperature when it has
standard length, and Lm the measured length of line. Eo Y. D., Department of Technology Fusion, copyright® Inconsistent Pull
• When a steel tape is pulled with a tension greater than its standard pull (the tension
at which it was calibrated), the tape will stretch and become longer than its
standard length. • Hooke’s Law : 변형하는 물체의 단면에 발생하는 응력(단위면적당 힘)...
View Full Document
This note was uploaded on 09/27/2013 for the course AEROSPACE 202 taught by Professor Hsu during the Fall '13 term at ASU.
- Fall '13