A Guide to Project Management

Conditional diagramming methods diagramming

Info iconThis preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: and not just in appearance, and b) the individuals preparing the estimates have the needed expertise. 72 NAVIGATION LINKS ACROYMNS LIST ACRONYMS LIST ACROYMNS LIST A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK Guide) 2000 Edition 2000 Project Management Institute, Four Campus Boulevard, Newtown Square, PA 19073-3299 USA Chapter 6--Project Time Management .3 Quantitatively based durations. The quantities to be performed for each specific work category (i.e., number of drawing, meters of cable, tons of steel, etc.) defined by the engineering/design effort, when multiplied by the productivity unit rate (i.e., hours per drawing, meters of cable per hour, etc.), can be used to estimate activity durations. .4 Reserve time (contingency). Project teams may choose to incorporate an additional time frame, called time reserve, contingency, or buffer, that can be added to the activity duration or elsewhere in the schedule as recognition of schedule risk. This reserve time can be a percentage of the estimated duration, or a fixed number of work periods. The reserve time can later be reduced or eliminated, as more precise information about the project becomes available. Such reserve time should be documented along with other data and assumptions. 6.3.3 Outputs from Activity Duration Estimating .1 Activity duration estimates. Activity duration estimates are quantitative assessments of the likely number of work periods that will be required to complete an activity. Activity duration estimates should always include some indication of the range of possible results. For example: 2 weeks 2 days to indicate that the activity will take at least eight days and no more than twelve (assuming a five-day workweek). 15 percent probability of exceeding three weeks to indicate a high probability--85 percent--that the activity will take three weeks or less. Chapter 11 on Project Risk Management includes a more detailed discussion of estimating uncertainty. .2 Basis of estimates. Assumptions made in developing the estimates must be documented. .3 Activity list updates. Activity list updates are described in Section 6.2.3.2. A Guide to the A Guide to the Project Project Management Management Body of Body of KnowledgeE L KnowledgeE PL 6.4 SCHEDULE DEVELOPMENT MP AM SA S Tools & Techniques Mathematical analysis Duration compression Simulation Resource leveling heuristics .5 Project management software .6 Coding structure .1 .2 .3 .4 Schedule development means determining start and finish dates for project activities. If the start and finish dates are not realistic, then the project is unlikely to be finished as scheduled. The schedule development process must often be iterated (along with the processes that provide inputs, especially duration estimating and cost estimating) prior to determination of the project schedule. Inputs .1 .2 .3 .4 .5 .6 .7 .8 .9 .10 Project network diagrams Activity duration estimates Resource requirements Resource pool description Calendars...
View Full Document

This document was uploaded on 09/27/2013.

Ask a homework question - tutors are online