Unformatted text preview: ment has a strong effect
34 Attitudes and Intellectual Success Asian children score higher on standard math tests than American children.
Differences: • Americans are more likely than Asians to believe that math ability is innate.
• Americans have far lower standards for their children.
• Asian children value education more highly than Americans. 35
35 Animal Minds 36
36 Animal Minds Animal Intelligence
Animals and Language
Thinking About the Thinking of Animals 37
37 Animal Intelligence Cognitive Ethology: • The study of cognitive processes in nonhuman animals. Studies in cognitive ethology have shown evidence that some animals can
• Anticipate future events
Use numbers to label quantities
Coordinate activities with other animals 38
38 Animals and Language Language is a critical element of human cognition
Many animal species can be taught to communicate in ways that resemble language
• Chimpanzees and Bonobos converse using American Sign Language and symbol board systems
• An African grey parrot has been taught to count, classify, and compare objects using English words Whether these behaviors are language depends on how you define “language.” 39
39 Thinking About Animal Thinking Anthropomorphism: • The tendency to falsely attribute human qualities to nonhuman beings. Anthropocentrism: • The tendency to think, mistakenly, that human beings have nothing in common with other animals.
•http://www.skepdic.com/refuge/ctlessons/lesson3.html [answer to the card question above] 40
40 Questions?? 41
View Full Document
- Fall '13
- Psychology, Cognitive Consistency