This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: Probiotic Products
• Yoghurts and related products-containing
Lactobacillus acidophilus and
• Other dairy products include cheese,icecreams.
• Non Dairy products-Limited range of
yoghurt analogues,usually soy
based,cereal based fruit drinks.
• Also available in the form of
tablets,capsules Who needs probiotics?
Who needs probiotics?
• People who suffer from yeast infections of
any kind, including athlete's foot, jock itch,
vaginal yeast infections and nail fungus.
• People with weak immune
systems,frequent respiratory infections
• People with food or respiratory allergies.
• People suffering from inflammatory bowel
disorders, constipation or intestinal
• People who travel can avoid infections
from foreign food and water by taking
probiotics with meals.
• Probiotics can also be given to children
and infants to reduce the risk of infection.
and Current problems with “probiotics” Current problems with “probiotics” • Extravagant claims without research
– Specific species and strain effects
• Lack of good manufacturing practices
• – Quality assurance
• – Label vs content
• – Viability of bacterial species • Validated biomarkers for assessing
View Full Document
This note was uploaded on 10/07/2013 for the course FDSC 3587 taught by Professor Mindybrashears during the Spring '12 term at Texas Tech.
- Spring '12