Unformatted text preview: seconds they have moves 150
meters • Which of the following is an accelerator in a car:
steering wheel, brake, gas pedal? – They all are! The steering wheel causes an
acceleration by changing direction, the brake
causes deceleration or negative acceleration,
and the gas pedal causes positive acceleration. 3 9/9/13 Speed, Velocity and Acceleration -green car speeds up
-blue car has the greatest acceleration Acceleration on Inclined Planes
• Galileo used inclined planes to slow how fast a ball
falls in order to study its motion.
• He noticed that balls that started from rest picked
up the same amount of velocity for every second
they rolled down the hill (constant acceleration).
• The greater
the incline, the
acceleration. -no other force acting on the ball besides gravity Free Fall
• When Galileo’s incline was vertical,
the acceleration of the ball was at
• This is called free fall – when an
object falls only under the
influence of gravity.
• The acceleration due to gravity on
Earth is 9.8 m/s/s (~10 m/s/s)
– This is represented by the letter g. 4 9/9/13 Velocity and Distance in Free Fall
• When air resistance does not slow down a falling
object that started from rest, the velo...
View Full Document
- Fall '06
- Velocity, 5 kg, 30 m/s, 4.9 m, 29.4 m/s, 6.67 m/s