unit is the component of the processor that directs and coordinates most of the operations in the
is the component of the processor that performs arithmetic, comparison, and other operations.
3. In the machine cycle steps illustrated in the accompanying figure,
is the process of obtaining a
program instruction or data item from memory.
4. In the machine cycle steps illustrated in the accompanying figure, the term
refers to the process of
translating instructions into signals the computer can execute.
5. In the machine cycle steps illustrated in the accompanying figure,
is the process of carrying out
6. Together, the four basic operations or a processor (fetching, decoding, executing, and storing) comprise a(n)
, the processor begins fetching a second instruction before it completes the machine cycle for
the first instruction.
8. The pace of the system clock, called the
speed, is measured by the number of ticks per second.
9. A processor contains small high-speed storage locations, called
, that temporarily hold data and
10. The faster the clock speed, the more
the processor can execute per second.
technology uses a continuous flow of fluid(s), such as water and glycol, in a process that
transfers the heated fluid away from the processor.
consists of electronic components that store instructions waiting to be executed by the processor,
data needed by those instructions, and the results of processed data (information).
13. Synchronous DRAM (SDRAM) chips
are synchronized to the system clock
14. Double Data Rate SDRAM (DDR SDRAM) chips are even faster than SDRAM chips because they
data twice for each clock cycle
15. Rambus DRAM (RDRAM) chips are another type of DRAM chips that are much faster than SDRAM chips