Unformatted text preview: du Concepts Brahman: – Sometimes simply “the godhead” or “god”
– There is no “not Brahman” (Monism)
– Not Creator, but manifested in creation Atman: – Sanskrit for “invisible essence” (inner self)
– Includes but beyond senses of an individual
– “Atman is Brahman” (a fundamental belief) & “You are Brahman” (Upanishads) Key Hindu Concepts
Key Hindu Concepts Samsara – Reincarnation; transmigration of souls
– Unless Moksha is achieved, reincarnation continues Jiva – The “soul:” a manifestation of atman (limited) Maya – Sanskrit for “magic” (illusion, appearances) Are We Not Gods Already?
Are We Not Gods Already? A Hindu dilemma If we are already one with Brahman, why should we bother trying any more? The Answer: The problem is ignorance that clouds our vision… Once aware of our ignorance we are called to a path to reunite the Brahman
Atman complex… or in the Sanskrit… Yoga: The Four Paths
Yoga: The Four Paths Karma Yoga (Path of Action)
Jnana Yoga (Path of Knowledge/Wisdom)
Raja Yoga (“Royal” Path of Meditation)
Bhakti Yoga (Path of Devotion and Love) Hindu Deities
Hindu Deities Brahman is not “a god” Beyond classification, beyond mere being Brahman is not a noun (i.e., he, she or it) Pantheon of deities is a “polytheistic monism;” Brahman is infinite and eternal How many gods are there? 330...
View Full Document