This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: urope/Middle East
The Aryans brought their language “Sanskrit” – many words in Latin & Greek are similar to Sanskrit. What Changed?
What Changed? Indus Valley – River is the sacred place
– Water a sacred symbol
– Male & Female gods
– Fertility Rituals Aryans – Ceremonial Pyre is the sacred place
– Fire a sacred symbol
– Gods represent forces of nature
– The Varna (estate or class) system, which placed “nobles” on top A Blending of Cultures
A Blending of Cultures Sacrifices to Agni (fire god) Sacrifices to Indra (storm god) Cycles of birth & rebirth A threetier caste system – Priests (Brahmins)
– Others Sacred Texts
Sacred Texts The Vedas purely the ‘property’ of the priestly caste – From an oral tradition, written about 800 BCE
– Prayed, but not understood (decline of Sanskrit)
– Later translation shows a notso’primitive’ philosophy
– Focus is on the gods & priestly rituals Sacred Texts
Sacred Texts The Upa...
View Full Document