This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: < A) 7 9/23/2013 Reducing Cognitive Load
2. Multidimensional Representation
◦ Mayer & Anderson, (1991, 1992) 4 test questions
“What could be done to make the pump more reliable, that is, to make
sure it would not fail?” a. Multidimensional
◦ Mayer (1989); Text +
illustration 65% more
Text only 8 9/23/2013 Reducing Cognitive Load
2. Contiguity Principle words and pic at same time. Mayer (1989) Students read text; illustrations Near Separate pages Near group 75% more solutions to
problem than separate group Reducing Cognitive Load
3. Split-Attention Principle Split attention between channels Mayer & Moreno (2000)
◦ Animation + oral text = 2 channels
◦ Animation + written text = 1 channel
◦ Cond 1 = 50% more...
View Full Document
This note was uploaded on 12/05/2013 for the course PSYC 607 taught by Professor Gagne during the Fall '13 term at Alfred University.
- Fall '13