Unformatted text preview: ring others so our
experience is determined by "our habits of attention". LEVELS OF CONSCIOUSNESS ……..
• thoughts, perception
mental events in our
awareness PRECONSCIOUS MIND
• outside of current awareness, but easily
recalled UNCONSCIOUS MIND
• normally can't be brought
into awareness LEVELS OF CONSCIOUSNESS ……..
COMPONENTS OF PERSONALITY
• instinctual sexual and
unconscious EGO – mediating between ID & Supereg
• conscious (and preconscious)
SUPEREGO – internalized morals
• Conscious (and Preconscious) LEVELS OF CONSCIOUSNESS ……..
CARL JUNG similar to
preconscious shared by all humans
it is developed thr revolu THE EVOLUTION OF CONCIOUSNESS
“Cosmic Consciousness” “ ” The psychogenesis of man
* Human consciousness is evolving Stages of evolution
1. Simple consciousness
- awareness of one's environment - awareness of oneself as separate and unique
unique to humans
*by age 3-4 shared with lower animals
*few days after birth 2. Self consciousness
3. Cosmic consciousness - sense of immortality and awareness of all life
*currently few individuals reach this level even as adults Richard Bucke LEVELS OF CONSCIOUSNESS ……..
• View conscious and unconscious as
• “CONSCIOUS” - controlled effortful porcessing • “UNCONSCIOUS” - automatic processing
• biological processes
• well-learned tasks complimentary forms of information
processing MEASURING CONSCIOUSNESS ...
describe inner feelings
* Not always veriﬁable.
• Physiological Measures.
– Establish correspondence between bodily
states and mental processes
• Behavioural - performance on special tasks – E.g. “Rouge Test” used in infancts
champ-- The Electroencephalograph:
A Physiological Index of Consciousness Physiological Measures.
• EEG – monitoring of brain electrical activity
– Amplitude (height)
Frequency ( cycles per second)
• vary during different phases of sleep. EEG PATTERNS & STATES OF CONSCIOU...
View Full Document