This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: hen heat is needed (store heat?)
Orientation of roof (south facing?)
High installation cost
Need to keep panels clean, ice free
Appearance (cosmetics) Solar thermal electricity plants
photo from wikipedia.org • Solar Two Unit (10 MW), near Barstow, CA
• Built as a demo plant by LADWP, So Cal Edison, and DOE
• Mirrors focus light on tower, which has molten salt (60%
NaNO3, 40% KNO3) to store heat.
• Heated salt used for steam turbine
• Ran 1996-99 as a prototype, then decommissioned How concentrated solar plants work Ivanpah solar plant
(between Barstow and Las Vegas)
photo from wikipedia.org • Commercial plant with planned 392 MW capacity
• Operated by BrightSource, Bechtel, and NRG, with DOE loans
• Unit 1 went online end of September 2013 How can we harness solar energy?
1. Capture and use for solar energy for heating
• Solar panel heaters for homes (usually small
• Concentrating solar power (typically for larger
2. Use for Photovoltaic (PV) Solar Cells to
View Full Document
- Fall '13