Unformatted text preview: roceed from side w/
[greater reactants] to [lesser]
• Ex.~ O2 binding to hemoglobin in RBC’s Rxtn Rates & Metabolism
3 main factors affecting rxtn rates~
• [reactants]- more molecules, more likely they’ll collide more
often, leads to increased rxtn rates
• Temperature- molecules move more rapidly @ higher temps
• Catalysts- substances that ‘speed up’ rxtn rates by binding &
altering shape of reactants to become more likely to react w/
• Enzymes are most important (& most common) catalysts Metabolism= sum of all chemical rxtn w/in cells
• Catabolism- energy (ATP) released from breakdown of lrgr
molecules (glucose, or other organic compounds)
• Exergonic reactions release free energy (to do work + heat) • Anabolism- requires energy (ATP) for protein synthesis,
nerve impulse, muscle contraction, etc.
• Endergonic reactions requires input of energy Organic Compounds
Organic chemistry= study of compounds of carbon (C)• 4 primary classes of organic compoun...
View Full Document
This note was uploaded on 01/12/2014 for the course ZOO 250 taught by Professor Staff during the Fall '08 term at S.E. Louisiana.
- Fall '08