This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: Sutures
plane Fibrous joints (cont.)
Fibrous joint (cont.)~
• Gomophoses allow for slight movement of teeth, giving us
sense of how hard we are biting down, food in teeth, etc.
• Syndesmoses have longer fibers= movable joints
• Less moveable joint….distal ends of tibia/fibula
• More moveable joint.…radius/ulna & tibia/fibula by interosseous
• Interosseous membrane allows for supination/pronation Joint Types (cont.)
Cartilaginous joint (amphiarthrosis)~ 2 bones bound together
by either hyaline or fibrocartilage
• Synchondroses= hyaline cartilage binds bones together
• Epiphysis & diaphysis fuse (epiphyseal plate); costal cartilage
); costal • Symphyses= fibrocartilage joins 2 bones
• Pubic bones join by a interpubic disc to form pubic symphysis
• 23 intervertebral discs between vertebrae allow for flexibility yet
permits only slight movement between each adjacent bone
permits Synovial joint~ most common jnt; 2 bones separated by a
space filled w/ synovial fluid
• Elbow, knee, jaw, hip…all freely movable
• Health & mobility of...
View Full Document
- Fall '08