This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: hromatography apparatus with labels.
• A flow chart is optional but it can significantly aid
your ability to efficiently carry out the experiment.
• You must bring your NYU ID card to lab with you.
The stockroom will require you to trade it for a
• Carefully inspect the column immediately when you
receive it (before leaving the stockroom area) and
inform the stockroom staff of any issues. If the column
is not returned to the stockroom in one piece (i.e. it is
broken or somehow lost), you will be charged $65 to
replace it. General Information
Fundamentals of Column Chromatography
1) Mobile phase - a liquid or gas that flows
continuously over a fixed stationary phase, which
may be a solid or liquid.
2) The mixture of compounds to be separated sticks to
the stationary phase and the compounds are pushed
through the stationary phase by the mobile phase.
3) Since each compound has a different affinity for
binding to the stationary phase, they separate into
View Full Document