Unformatted text preview: •
language • Shared features of nations: • What about minority groups? Independence • New nations (or independent colonies) need
ways of indexing their new status. • nationalism = symbols of independence.
• new ﬂag
• new name
• new ofﬁcial language - but whose?
• nationism = practical issues of governing the
• (more on that next week...) In-group sameness: (erasure of differences between us)
Out-group difference: (erasure of the similarities we have with
Out-group sameness: (erasure of differences between them)
e.g. Spanish-speakers => "Mexicans"
e.g. Asian-immigrants => "Chinese"
e.g. Muslims and Sikhs => terrorists Symbols of Independence • Example: postcolonial USA
• Noah Webster’s spelling reforms. etc)
colour => color (also ﬂavour, behaviour,
• theatre => theater (also centre)
View Full Document
- Spring '08
- Anthropology, group identity, hemispheric localism, Macrosocial Language & Community, in-group sameness