Unformatted text preview: gisms: make up new words from native roots
- (e.g. French "computer" = ordinateur; other
countries just borrow from English
- Example: hawai'ian
-bringing your language with you
- e.g. Native American languages in the US Multilingual Nations • How do multilingual nations form?
• migration (immigration)
• border changes Independence • New nations (or independent colonies) need
ways of indexing their new status. • nationalism = symbols of independence. • nationism = practical issues of governing the
country. Independence • How do you change a national language?
• in translate and republish all documents
• (constitution, laws, warning labels, road signs) business?
• in translate and republish all product manuals and • contracts. the media?
• in translate all newspapers; ﬁnd literate journalists • and newscasters. education?
• in translate all textbooks for all classes; ﬁnd ﬂuent • speakers who can teach in that language....
View Full Document
- Spring '08
- Anthropology, languages, Multilingualism