This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: praisal evoking joy, fear,
anger, sadness, disgust, shame, & guilt 25
Create PDF files without this message by purchasing novaPDF printer (http://www.novapdf.com) 11/30/2009 The Cognitive Component
Culture & Appraisal:
With some differences depending on situation: Being alone:
• Tahitians chance for bad spirits to bother fear
• Eskimo social rejection & isolation sadness &
• Western welcome respite from frantic pace
contentment & happiness
Despite universality, there is diversity in subtle
interpretations of situations HAPPINESS
Subjective Well-Being: people’s
emotional responses and their degree
of satisfaction with various aspects of
their life. How happy are people?
Across all countries, mean rating
of personal happiness indicates
mild happiness (except India &
Dominican Republic unhappy
Men & women equal in global
happiness BUT women experience
both negative and positive
emotions more intensely 26
Create PDF files without this message by purchasing novaPDF printer (http://www.novapdf.com) 11/30/2009 What makes people happy?
• Personal Resources (15-20% of total variability)
– Health, wealth, intelligence? don’t guarantee happiness
– Satisfying social relat...
View Full Document
- Fall '14