This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: c rate & the
tendency to store energy as fat or lean tissue
– It accounts 40-70% of variation in BMI among M & F
– Obesity is on the up-rise although genes haven’t changed in
recent decades, BUT why?
More inexpensive, tasty foods high in fat &/or carbohydrates
Cultural emphasis on getting best value supersizing menu
Technological advances ↓ daily physical activity Eating Disorders Around
are women Anorexia nervosa: intense fear of being fat &
severely restrict food intake to point of selfstarvation
• They continue to view themselves as fat
• Results: menstruation stops, bone loss, stress to heart,
↑risk of death Bulimia nervosa: afraid of becoming fat, & bingeeat & then purge food by vomiting or laxatives
• Consume 2000-4000 calories during binges
• Results: gastric problems, badly eroded teeth
• conscious of problem, but can’t control it 10
Create PDF files without this message by purchasing novaPDF printer (http://www.novapdf.com) 11/30/2009 Causes of Anorexia & Bulimia
Environmental, psychological & biological factors
Cultural norms: In industrialized culture, thinness = Beauty
• Anorexics: perfectionists (high achievers) with lofty self- standards battle
standards battle for success & control;
• disapproving parents with high standards punish them &
gain some contr...
View Full Document
This document was uploaded on 01/15/2014.
- Fall '14