This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: itnessed, learned
• Maybe repeated exposure over time
• Sx begin or worsen after event
• Sx persist for at least 31 days, 1 mon. ETIOLOGY OF PTSD
Risk Factors: Childhood traumas (esp. sexual
abuse), other anxiety or mood Dx,
Nature of the Trauma: Severity Matters
• Human causes vs. Natural causes Behavioral Factors: 2 Factor Model
Cognitive Factors: Avoiding thinking about
it (dissociation) à༎ increases risk
• Better Coping: High IQ, social support TREATMENT OF PTSD
Behavioral: Imaginal Exposure,
Cognitive: reducing self-blame
Acute Stress Disorder (ASD)
• Similar Sx, but occur between 3-31days
• Sx do not persist beyond 1 month
TREATMENT OF ASD
• Prevent PTSD risk with exposure 2...
View Full Document
This document was uploaded on 01/16/2014.
- Fall '14
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder