This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: reater concordance in MZ
• Gene-Environment Interaction
Heritability increases when teens have
peers who use substances
• Diathesis: May be higher tolerance DSM-5 Substance Use Disorder
Problematic pattern of use impairs functioning.
2 or more Sx within 1 year
• Failure to meet obligations
• Repeated use in situations where physically dangerous
• Repeated relationship problems
• Use for more time or greater amounts than intended
• Desire or efforts to reduce or control use fail
• Much time spent trying to obtain substance
• Social, hobbies, or work activities, given up, reduced
• Continued use despite known problems
• Strong cravings for substance [Etiology, con’t…] Neurobiological: Dopamine linked to pleasure
• Stimulated by almost all abused drugs
• Vulnerability Model: People who become
dependent may have dopamine system probs
• Toxic Effect Model: Substance use damages
• Incentive-Sensitization Theory:...
View Full Document
This document was uploaded on 01/16/2014.
- Fall '14