This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: are scattered from the very
• Mechanical damage in top layer can preclude
the formation of the Kossel cones that create
the Kikuchi pattern CBEMS 164 – XRD, SEM & Microanalysis: Lecture 26
! 22 Mounting to an Al Stub!
! • Can use:
– Conducting paint
– Conducting double stick carbon paint
– Superglue / crystal bond • Must ensure a conducting pathway to
– Carbon paint or silver paint
– Double stick carbon tape/pads not
Remember – carbon and silver paint both
need time to dry – outgassing organic
solvents in the SEM vacuum is NOT OK!!! Once mounted, can consider plasma cleaning CBEMS 164 – XRD, SEM & Microanalysis: Lecture 26
! 23 Etching!
! • Polishing (including electropolishing) leaves a sample
with no topology
– Phase (Z) contrast may be possible with BS imaging • Samples can be etched to reveal features (e.g. grain
– Thermal etching - heating
– Chemical etching
– Ion beam etching - impinging ion beam of specimen surface CBEMS 164 – XRD, SEM & Microanalysis: Lecture 26
! 24 Recipes for Chemical Etching!
! • Al (e...
View Full Document
This note was uploaded on 01/16/2014 for the course CBEMS 164 taught by Professor Porter,j during the Fall '08 term at UC Irvine.
- Fall '08