Unformatted text preview: XRD, SEM & Microanalysis: Lecture 26
! 28 Particles!
! • Sprinkle a dust of particles onto a stub with a
double stick pad mounted
– What possibility is there that a representative
sampling of the original powder is being imaged
– Need to consider a better way to ensure a quality
result CBEMS 164 – XRD, SEM & Microanalysis: Lecture 26
! 29 Nucleopore Filters!
! • Polycarbonate films with well controlled uniform holes
(~0.2µm holes work well)
– Prepare dispersion of particles in water (or other dispersant)
– Use vacuum filtration apparatus to pull suspension of particles
through filter, leaving uniform, non-agglomerated dispersion of
particles on filter
– Cut section of filter
– Roll onto stub prepainted with carbon paint
• Carbon paint wicks through pores of filter providing conductive
pathway – Carbon coat to complete specimen preparation CBEMS 164 – XRD, SEM & Microanalysis: Lecture 26
! 30 Sampling Particles/Powders!
! • Prepare very dilute dispersion of
Use vacuum filtration apparatus
to filter particles with nuclepore
• Reduced tendency for...
View Full Document
This note was uploaded on 01/16/2014 for the course CBEMS 164 taught by Professor Porter,j during the Fall '08 term at UC Irvine.
- Fall '08