This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: • Polish (by hand or with automation)
– Use a succession of finer grit sizes
Coarse - SiC - (60 - 600 grit)
Fine - diamond (30µm - 1µm)
Ultrafine - silica (<1µm) • Need to take care not to contaminate finer sizes with
prior coarser media
• Need to polish long enough at each grit size to
entirely remove all polishing scratches from previous
• Metals may also be electropolished
Many variables, multiple fixtures etc.
CBEMS 164 – XRD, SEM & Microanalysis: Lecture 26
! 16 Diamond Polishing!
! • Can use many approaches
– Diamond impregnated cloth
• Diamond paste added to cloth
• Many different naps and textures – Diamond impregnated copper disks
• Available down to 1 µm particle size – Diamond impregnated mylar films
• Use water lubricant CBEMS 164 – XRD, SEM & Microanalysis: Lecture 26
! 17 CBEMS 164 – XRD, SEM & Microanalysis: Lecture 26
! 18 Ultraﬁne Polishing!
! • Necessary for EBSD
• 0.05µm silica in suspension
• Plentiful vendor literature Electropolishing!...
View Full Document
- Fall '08