Contact the clerks office for form mc 410 request for

Info iconThis preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: fice for Form MC-410, Request for Accommodations by Persons With Disabilities and Response. (Civil Code, § 54.8.) Revised January 1, 2012 Plaintiff’s Claim and ORDER to Go to Small Claims Court (Small Claims) SC-100, Page 3 of 5 SC-100 Information for the Defendant (the person being sued) “Small claims court” is a special court where claims for $5,000 or less are decided. A “natural person” (not a business or public entity) may generally claim up to $10,000, including a sole proprietor. (*See below for exceptions.) The process is quick and cheap. The rules are simple and informal. You are the Defendant—the person being sued. The person who is suing you is the Plaintiff. Do I need a lawyer? You may talk to a lawyer before or after the case. But you may not have a lawyer represent you in court (unless this is an appeal from a small claims case). Do I have options? Yes. If you are being sued, you can: • Settle your case before the trial. If you and the Plaintiff agree on how to settle the case, both of you must notify the court. Ask the Small Claims Advisor for help. • Prove this is the wrong court. Send a letter to the court before your trial, explaining why you think this is the wrong court. Ask the court to dismiss the claim. You must serve (give) a copy of your letter (by mail or in person) to all parties. (Your letter to the court must say you have done this.) • Go to the trial and try to win your case. Bring witnesses, receipts, and any evidence you need to How do I get ready for court? prove your case. To make sure the witnesses go to the You don’t have to file any papers before your trial, unless trial, fill out Form SC-107, and the clerk will subpoena you think this is the wrong court for your case. But bring (order) them to go. to your trial any witnesses, receipts, and evidence that • Sue the person who is suing you. File Form supports your case. And read “Be Prepared for Your SC-120, Defenda...
View Full Document

This note was uploaded on 01/17/2014 for the course ENG 1a taught by Professor Ehain during the Fall '11 term at Pasadena City College.

Ask a homework question - tutors are online