This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: the license terms, and click Next.
8. Enter user and organization details, and click next.
9. Optionally, click the checkbox to install the update utility. Click Next.
10. On the Destination Folder screen, click Next.
11. Click Install.
12. Click OK. Connecting the storage to the host
On the Dell EqualLogic storage, we connected the OS-Log volume to the ESX Server VMkernel using one
physical 1Gb NIC. We presented each virtual machine with two 1Gb virtual NIC’s connected to two physical NIC’s
that we used to connect the Microsoft iSCSI Initiator within the Virtual Machine to its individual iSCSI database
On the HP StorageWorks storage, we connected the OS-Log volume to ESX Server using the first Fibre Channel
adapter. We connected the two database volumes to ESX Server using the second Fibre Channel Adapter.
We connected an additional virtual NIC to a physical 1Gb NIC for DVD Store client to server communications.
Adding the iSCSI storage adapter in ESX (Dell only)
1. Click Start, All Programs, VMware, VMware vSphere client.
2. Click the Configuration tab.
3. Click Networking.
4. Click Add Networking…
5. Select the VMkernel radio button, and click Next.
6. Deselect any selected NICs that vSphere shows as “down”. Select the first of the available four NICs that
vSphere does not show as “down” in the Speed column. Click Next.
7. Assign a label to the network. Click Next.
8. Enter a valid IP address and subnet. Click Next.
9. Click Finish.
10. Click No when the application prompts you to enter a default gateway.
11. Click the Configuration tab.
12. Click Storage Adapters under Hardware pane.
13. Click iSCSI Software Adapter. Then, click Properties.
Principled Technologies, Inc.: Virtualized OLTP workload performance comparison of end-to-end solutions:
Dell PowerEdge R710 with Dell EqualLogic storage vs. HP ProLiant DL385 G5 with HP StorageWorks EVA
4400 storage 8 14.
21. Click Configure.
After the application disables the device, click the Dynamic Discovery tab.
Enter the IP address of the storage group.
Click Yes when the application prompts you to rescan for changes. Adding the storage volumes to ESX storage
1. In vSphere, click the Configuration tab
2. Click Storage in the Hardware pane.
3. Click Add Storage…
4. Choose Disk/LUN. Click Next.
5. Select the appropriate LUN. Click Next.
6. Click Next.
7. Enter a name for the datastore. Click Next.
8. Click Next to accept the defaults for block size.
9. Click Finish to complete the addition of the LUN.
10. Repeat steps 1 through 9 two more times (HP only).
Setting up the iSCSI NICs with vSphere (Dell only)
1. Click the Configuration tab.
2. Click Networking.
3. Click Add Networking.
4. Click Virtual Machine.
5. Choose to Create a virtual switch. Assign the relevant NIC in the system. Click Next.
6. Assign a network name.
7. Click Finish.
8. Repeat steps 1 through 7 once more. Creating and configuring the VMs
Creating the virtual machine with vSphere
1. Click Start, All Programs, VM...
View Full Document
This document was uploaded on 01/20/2014.
- Fall '11