This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: ion technologies such as EPT. We also installed the vSphere client tool on a
management workstation, which was an Intel Pentium 4, 630 3.00GHz running Windows Vista Ultimate SP1
(6001) with 2GB RAM.
Installing ESX Build 148592
1. Insert ESX Build 148592 DVD, and restart the computer.
2. While booting, press F11 to enter Boot Menu.
3. Press the down arrow to navigate to the appropriate boot device, and press Enter.
4. To start ESX in graphical mode, press Enter.
5. On the Welcome screen, click Next.
6. Click the checkbox to accept the terms of the license agreement, and click Next.
7. Accept the default keyboard layout, and click Next.
8. On the Custom Drivers screen, choose No to install custom drivers, and click Next.
9. You will receive a warning if you chose No. Click Yes to proceed. Drivers will load at this point.
10. Click Next.
11. Enter your serial number now, or choose to enter one later. Click Next.
12. On the Network Configuration screen, choose the NIC that you will use for system tasks. Click Next.
13. On the next Network Configuration screen, set your IP addressing information, subnet mask, DNS, and
hostname. Click Next.
14. On the Setup Type screen, choose standard setup.
15. Select the virtual disk you wish to install ESX on, and click Next.
16. On the Data Loss warning screen, click OK.
17. On the Time Zone Settings screen, choose your appropriate time zone, and click Next.
18. On the Date and Time screen, modify the date and time as you wish, and click Next.
19. Assign a root password for ESX. Optionally, add additional users if you wish, and click Next.
20. On the Summary screen, click Next to install.
21. When the installation is complete, click Next.
22. Click Finish to reboot the system.
Enabling secure shell (ssh) access for the root user
1. Using Putty, Cygwin, or another terminal, ssh to the ESX Server.
2. Type the following command to switch to the root user:
Principled Technologies, Inc.: Virtualized OLTP workload performance comparison of end-to-end solutions:
Dell PowerEdge R710 with Dell EqualLogic storage vs. HP ProLiant DL385 G5 with HP StorageWorks EVA
4400 storage 7 # su 3. Enter the root user password.
4. Type the following command to change to the appropriate directory:
# cd /etc/ssh
5. Edit the sshd_config file using vi. Use the following command:
# vi sshd_config
6. Press the down arrow key to move the cursor to the PermitRootLogin line, and then move the cursor to
the word no. Press the i key to insert text.
7. Type the word yes and delete the word no.
8. Press the Escape key to return to command mode.
9. Type the following command to save and exit the file:
10. Type the following command to reboot the server:
# init 6
Installing vSphere on a management workstation
1. Navigate to the IP address of your ESX Server.
2. Accept certificate warnings, and continue.
3. Click vSphere to download the vSphere client.
4. Choose Run to install.
5. Choose your language, and click OK.
6. On the Welcome screen, click Next.
View Full Document
This document was uploaded on 01/20/2014.
- Fall '11