This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: n
• Temperature and humidity = vapor pressure
– Plants transpire more rapidly at higher
temperatures because there is a greater VPD
possible as the temperature rises.
• At 30°C, a leaf may transpire three times as fast as it
does at 20°C. Transpiration Environmental Factors that Affect the Rate of
– When there is no breeze, the
air surrounding a leaf
becomes increasingly humid
thus reducing the rate of
– When a breeze is present, the
humid air is carried away and
replaced by drier air.
• Water vapor diffusion rate
so when it is open you lose more air when the wind is moving. http://www.botany.hawaii.edu/faculty/Webb/BOT470/ Transpiration Environmental Factors that Affect the Rate of
T Text • Soil water
– A plant cannot continue to transpire rapidly if its
water loss is not made up by replacement from
• When absorption of water by the roots fails to keep up
with the rate of transpiration, loss of turg...
View Full Document
This document was uploaded on 01/17/2014.
- Winter '08