This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: stry
or the (Hollywood) movie industry?
The game industry
9. Which is your favorite animated movie? The First Computer Game? Pong, Atari, 1972
Spacewars, PDP–1, MIT, 1961 Metal Gear
Solid 4 Games
Focus on interactivity Movies
To reality and beyond ! Movies
Special effects Movies Digital Compositing Digital compositing Digital Compositing Cartoons Computer-Aided Design
visualization Modeling Clay Computer-Aided Design
It’s not just about visualization
• Simulation is also useful Visualization: Scientific Molecular Biology
Environmental Physics Visualization: Medical Visualization: Architectural http://www.diamondschmitt.com/ Visualization: Info Smith and Fiore Graphical User Interfaces Steven Schkolne Art Steven Schkolne Digital Art
Genetically evolved Carl Sims Digital Art By Jason Salavon
The Top-Grossing Film of All Time
2 “Titanic” What is an Image / Video?
• Array of pixels (one or more numbers)
• A video is a time sequence of images Illumination • How they are formed:
– Objects in the world
(static or dynamic)
– Imaging device
(eye, camera) Camera • We want to synthesize images/videos Basic Elements
Interaction Objects Basic Elements
– How do we model (mathematically represent) objects?
– How do we construct models of specific objects?
– How do we represent the motions of objects?
– How do we give animators control of this motion?
– How do we simulate the real-world behavior of light?
– How do we simulate the formation of images?
– How do we enable humans and computers to interact?
– How do we design human-computer interfaces? Modeling
• 3D points • 3D lines and curves • surfaces (BREPs): polygons,
patches • volumetric representations • image-based representations Attributes
• Color, texture maps • Lighting properties Geometric transformations Rendering
• Interference Animation
• Modeling, rendering, and animation Elements of CG
The graphics pipeline Modeling Animation Rendering Modeling
a computer Point clouds
Polygon meshes Surface patches NURBS Param...
View Full Document
This note was uploaded on 01/17/2014 for the course CS 174A taught by Professor Mayer during the Winter '10 term at UCLA.
- Winter '10
- Computer Graphics