1-20chapter stats

In a recent survey of homes in a major midwestern

Info iconThis preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: ects. If two parts are drawn randomly, one at a time with replacement, what is the probability that both parts are defective? A. 0.014 B. 0.012 C. 0.120 D. 0.102 E. 0.222 (6/50) (6/50) = .014 AACSB: Analytical Studies Bloom's: Application Difficulty: Medium Topic: Probability 1-340 Chapter 01 - An Introduction to Business Statistics 131. In the word BUSINESS, what is the probability of randomly selecting the letter S? A. 2/8 B. 1/8 C. 3/8 D. 5/8 3/8 AACSB: Analytical Studies Bloom's: Application Difficulty: Easy Topic: Probability 132. Suppose that you believe that the probability you will get a grade of B or better in Introduction to Finance is .6, and the probability that you will get a grade of B or better in Introduction to Accounting is .5. If these events are independent, what is the probability that you will get a grade of B or better in both courses? A. 0.300 B. 0.833 C. 0.600 D. 0.500 E. 0.800 (.6) (.5) = .30 AACSB: Analytical Studies Bloom's: Application Difficulty: Easy Topic: Probability 1-341 Chapter 01 - An Introduction to Business Statistics 133. In a major Midwestern university, 55% of all undergraduates are female, 25% belong to a Greek organization (fraternity or sorority) and 40% of all males belong to a Greek organization. What percent of the undergraduates are female and in a Greek organization? A. 55% B. 25% C. 60% D. 7% E. 15% AACSB: Analytical Studies Bloom's: Application Difficulty: Hard Topic: Probability & Intersection 134. In a major Midwestern university, 55% of all undergraduates are female, 25% belong to a Greek organization (fraternity or sorority) and 40% of all males belong to a Greek organization. What is the probability that one randomly selected undergraduate will be either a female or belong to a Greek organization? A. .55 B. .73 C. .80 D. .07 E. .87 P(G F) = .55 + .25 - .07 = .73 AACSB: Analytical Studies Bloom's: Application Difficulty: Hard Topic: Probability & Union 1-342 Chapter 01 - An Introduction to Business Statistics 135. In a major Midwestern university, 55% of all undergraduates are female, 25% belong to a Greek organization (fraternity or sorority) and 40% of all males belong to a Greek organization. What is the probability that an undergraduate is in a Greek organization given that the undergraduate is a female? A. .07 B. .55 C. .127 D. .039 E. 138 P(G|F) = .07/.55 = .127 AACSB: Analytical Studies Bloom's: Application Difficulty: Hard Topic: Probability & Conditional 136. In a major Midwestern university, 55% of all undergraduates are female, 25% belong to a Greek organization (fraternity or sorority) and 40% of all males belong to a Greek organization. Are the events "female/not female" and "belongs to a Greek organization" independent? A. Yes, independent B. No, not independent P(G|F) P(G) AACSB: Analytical Studies Bloom's: Analysis Difficulty: Hard Topic: Probability & Independence 1-343 Chapter 01 - An Introduction to Business Statistics 137. At a certain university, 30% of the students major in zoology. Of the students majoring in zoology, 60% are males. Of all the students at the university, 70% are males. What percentage of the students are males majoring in zoology? A. 60% B. 42% C. 12% D. 18% E. 70% AACSB: Analytical Studies Bloom's: Application Difficulty: Hard Topic: Probability & Intersection 138. At a certain university, 30% of the students major in zoology. Of the students majoring in zoology, 60% are males. Of all the students at the university, 70% are males. What is the probability that one randomly selected student is a male or is majoring in zoology? A. 1.00 B. 0.60 C. 0.21 D. 0.18 E. 0.82 (.30) + (.70)-(.18) = .82 AACSB: Analytical Studies Bloom's: Application Difficulty: Hard Topic: Probability & Union 1-344 Chapter 01 - An Introduction to Business Statistics 139. At a certain university, 30% of the students major in zoology. Of the students majoring in zoology, 60% are males. Of all the students at the university, 70% are males. What proportions of the males are majoring in zoology? A. .26 B. .18 C. .21 D. .86 E. .60 P(Z|M) = .18/.70 = .257 AACSB: Analytical Studies Bloom's: Application Difficulty: Hard Topic: Probability & Conditional 140. At a certain university, 30% of the students major in zoology. Of the students majoring in zoology, 60% are males. Of all the students at the university, 70% are males. Are the events "male" and "majoring in zoology" independent? A. Yes, independent B. No, not independent P(M|Z) ≠ P(M) AACSB: Analytical Studies Bloom's: Analysis Difficulty: Hard Topic: Probability 1-345 Chapter 01 - An Introduction to Business Statistics 141. An advertising campaign is being developed to promote a new bookstore opening in the newest mall development. To develop an appropriate mailing list it has been decided to purchase lists of credit card holders from MasterCard and American Express. Combining the lists they find the following: 40% of the people on the list have only a MasterCard and 10% have only an American Express card. Another 20% hold both MasterCard and American Express. Finally, 30% of th...
View Full Document

This document was uploaded on 01/20/2014.

Ask a homework question - tutors are online