This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: houghts
• Replace with a rational response
• Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
• Focus on training more adaptive thoughts,
• Relatively short term
• Best for depression, anxiety, panic disorders feelings, and 3 Does Psychotherapy Work? Family/Systems Therapy
• Problem of individual is symptom of dysfunctional interactions
within a social system • Yes
• Randomized clinical trials • Goal
• Focus on treating the system • Control for time effect • Techniques
• particularly effective for addictions & marital problems
• Identify & change maladaptive cycles
• E.g., codependency
• E.g., demand-withdrawal patterns (Rabin et al., 1986) Does Psychotherapy Work?
• Some therapies more effective than others
• cognitive-behavioral therapy • Match therapy to the problem
• cognitive-behavioral best for fear & anxiety
• humanistic best for self-esteem • Some therapists better than others
• warm, understanding, empathic • Client motivation 4...
View Full Document
This document was uploaded on 01/20/2014.
- Fall '14