This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: (classical & operant conditioning)
Often used in treatment of anxiety disorders • Excessive fear to stimulus
• Situated is avoided or endured with distress
• Interferes with normal routine or functioning 2 Learning Theory Examples Learning Theory Examples
• Classical Conditioning example of phobia development • Operant Conditioning & Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
Response Unconditioned Stimulus Unconditioned Response Stimulus Disgust
Behavior Conditioned Stimulus Discomfort
Reduced Conditioned Response Behavior Therapy
• Assumption A brief history of psychotherapy
1900’s 1920’s 1950’s 1960’s • Disordered behavior has been learned in the past
• Based on learning theory (classical & operant conditioning) • Goal
• Identify maladaptive response patterns
• Train new behavioral associations • Techniques (particularly effective for phobias)
• Systematic desensitization
• Incremental training to relax when exposed to th...
View Full Document
This document was uploaded on 01/20/2014.
- Fall '14