Unformatted text preview: down
Market Technical Financial Project
parameters Technology Ext. funding
sources Suppliers Location
conditions Self-financing Laws
& regulations Site
resources Dr. Maged Ezzat Georgy Qualitative Risk Analysis Plans
Communication HR skills Risk
Once risks are identified, it is time to analyze and
Based on the analysis, appropriate response plans are
The analysis will identify the magnitude of each risk
Dr. Maged Ezzat Georgy Qualitative Risk Analysis
Done at the earlier project stages.
Due to lack of sufficient information, probabilities and
impacts are assessed using qualitative / linguistic
terms (e.g., low, high, etc).
Then, risks are categorized (or ranked) according to
their significance to the project objectives. Dr. Maged Ezzat Georgy How
How to Qualitatively
Assess Project Risks
Tools/techniques for qualitatively assessing risks:
◦ Historical information & records.
◦ Methods used in risk identification.
◦ Matrix method (also called, probability-impact matrix).
◦ Scoring / indexing technique (using rating scales).
◦ SWOT analysis (concerned more with organizational risks
than project risks).
Dr. Maged Ezzat Georgy Historical Information
Reviewing documentation of “past projects” that are
comparable in scope, complexity, etc.
Past projects can be a useful source for the
preliminary assessment of each identified risk:
◦ How frequent the risk occurred.
◦ To what extent the risk, when materialized, affected
these past projects. Dr. Maged Ezzat Georgy Linguistic
Linguistic Rating Scales
To judge either the probability or the impact for a
new project, one can use a linguistic scale, such as:
◦ Very risky, not so risky.
◦ High, Low.
◦ High, Medium, Low.
◦ High, Medium High, Medium, Medium low, Low.
◦ etc. Dr. Maged Ezzat Georgy ProbabilityProbability-Imp...
View Full Document
- Winter '14
- Ezzat Georgy, Dr. Maged Ezzat Georgy