Unformatted text preview: Foramen ovali : closes : by adhesion of upper part of septum primum to the lower part of septum secundum • septum primum inferior to the foramen ovali : fossa ovalis • Lower margin of septum secondum/crista dividens : limbus
• Ductus arteriosus : ligamentum arteriosum • Umbilical arteries : the medial umbilical ligaments : superior vesical arteries. Problems in the changes of the vascular shunts after birth: Patent ductus arteriosus.
- functional closure ---soon after birth in full term infants
- if patent -- shunts aortic blood into pulmonary trunk
- common congenital anomaly associated with
maternal rubella infection during early pregnancy
- common in premature infants and infants born at high altitudes-due to hypoxia and immaturity Embryological basis of PDA – failure of D.A to involute.
- failure of muscular wall to contract to form ligamentum
- large pressure differences in pulmonary and aortic blood
pressures, Eg. Coarctation of aorta,
transposition of great arteries
- hypoxia, prematurity, high altitude
- prostaglandins - relaxes smooth muscle.
- bradykinin - contraction of smooth muscle Patent foramen ovali.
Failure of upper part of septum primum to fuse with lower part
of septum secondum Atrial septal defects will be
discussed in detail –
In the lecture on
development of the heart. What is lunate impression? Impression on the left atrial aspect of the site of oval foramen. Bless you. To God be the glory....
View Full Document
- Winter '14
- Ductus Arteriosus, Umbilical vein, ductus venosus, Septum Primum