Unformatted text preview: ases - breaks
up the smaller
peices 3. lipases
breaks down fat, goes
into lymphatic system 5. * is there something called paracellular absorption? 4. vitamins
minerals (absorption between the cells)? yes 6 02/03/2012 The Large Intestinal Phase of Digestion
Q: What comes in from the
Ileum (ileocecal valve)?
A: Ileal chyme ( a chemical
and particle rich liquid) Ileocecal Valve • Any unabsorbed nutrients
• Hormones and chemical messengers
• Soluble fibre (prebiotic)
• Insoluble fibre (bulking agent)
• Microbes (probiotics and other)
• Cellular debris
• Excretion products from the liver
bile pigments colour the feces brown
pre biotics and probiotics synbiotics What happens in the large intestine (cecum plus colon)?
1. The colonic epithelium absorbs water and simple ions like sodium, potassium,
magnesium and calcium.
2. The resident microbes d...
View Full Document
- Winter '11
- Gastric bypass surgery