This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: ment of staff
– Performed in an increasingly complex legal and social environment 6 HARD AND SOFT HR
HARD AND SOFT HR Hard HR – Michigan school
– People are a resources and if not managed and controlled effectively will work to rule (i.e. Theory X)
– Aim is efficiency and performance by matching people to task
7 HARD AND SOFT HR
HARD AND SOFT HR Soft HR – Harvard school
– People are more than resources, and seek fulfilment and meaning in work (i.e. Theory Y)
– Aim is performance and engagement by matching jobs to people
8 STRATEGIC HRM
STRATEGIC HRM Strategic HRM contributes to the organization’s objectives by:
– Ensuring that key HRM functions such as the recruitment, retention, and development of staff are consistent with business strategy
– Ensuring that people understand the key strategic intentions and objectives 9 STRATEGIC HRM
Strategic HRM contributes to the organization’s objectives by:
– Ensuring that people are abiding by those strategic intentions through measurement of performance consistent with those objectives – Ensuring that strategic HRM is closely tied to corporate strategy 10 HRM CORE FUNCTIONS
HRM CORE FUNCTIONS Recruitment
– The process and practices used to attract suitable employees to the organization
– The tools, methods, and criteria upon which people will be, and are, selected for a given position Retention
– The prac...
View Full Document
This document was uploaded on 01/24/2014.
- Two '14