This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: ysical features such as architecture, furniture, uniforms , etc.
Level II Espoused values
– A person’s or social group’s consistent beliefs about something in which they have an emotional investment as they express them
– The essence of culture
– Intangible, mainly unconscious, and tacit frames that subconsciously shape values and artifacts 9 Culture Edgar H. Schein
Culture Edgar H. Schein 10 STRONG CULTURE
STRONG A strong culture is – One in which the norms and core values are widely shared
– All about stories and storytelling • For example, Peters and Waterman’s In Search of Excellence 11 STRONG CULTURE
A language game – Is contextually specific forms of discourse participation – Defines members as part of a specific occupational or organizational community
– Denotes them as a specific kind of practitioner 12 CULTURE AT DISNEY
CULTURE AT DISNEY
The Smile Factory
– The public smile can be a façade hiding deeper problems
– Disneyland has stressedout workers and managers, and many rude customers
– “Seatbelt squeeze” and “Breakup the Party”
Culture is not just the accepted way of doing things
– Culture can be the deviant behaviors of resistance by stressed staff against a strong culture 13 GEORGE ORWELL AND CULTURE
GEORGE ORWELL AND CULTURE
Nineteen EightyFour and organizations
– Newspeak: A form of la...
View Full Document
This document was uploaded on 01/24/2014.
- Two '14