Unformatted text preview: .
• Natural system?
• Man-made system? Examples of Questions Environmental
• Do all microbes produce
methane? If not, which ones
• What are their characteristics?
• How to they produce it?
• Why to they produce it? Examples of Questions Environmental
How does microbial
methane production affect
the biotic and abiotic
How do humans affect the
microbial production of
methane? Examples of Questions Environmental
How do humans exploit the microbial production of methane? Landfill: turning
garbage into methane MICB 201:
Prokaryotic Diversity, Impact, Applications
• Introduction to Bacterial and Archaeal Diversity
• Diversity: Prokaryotic Cell Structure and Locomotion
• Diversity: Prokaryotic Genomes and Gene Expression
• Diversity: Prokaryotic Cell division and Reproduction
• Impact: Antibiotics and Antibiotic Resistance in Bacteria
• Diversity: Prokaryotic Nutrition
• Diversity: Prokaryotic Metabolism
• Diversity: Prokaryotic Growth and Environment
• Impact: Food Bourne-Illness and Control of Bacteria in the Food
• Impact/Applications: Life on the Rocks
• Impact/Applications: Bacteria and Archaea on the Farm
• Impact/Applications: Cleaning-up with Prokaryotes A hostile microbial world?
• The development of Microbiology as a discipline and the
understanding of infectious disease are connected historically.
• Today microorganisms are viewed mainly as ag...
View Full Document
- Fall '12