Unformatted text preview: ck P. Kent PreCambrian Limestone over
Cretaceous Shales Plate tectonics and faulting
Plate • c) Strike-slip faults: Transform Boundaries San
Fault Types and processes of mountainTypes
building (Orogenesis) 1.
4. Volcanic mountains
Upwarped mountains Types of Mountains
• 2. Fold-and-thrust mountains
– Formed by Continent-Continent Collisions Appalachian
System Collisional Mountains ???
(The Grand Tetons in Wyoming)
(The Source: Peter French/DRK Photo Paradigm shifts: What is wrong with our model? More on this later Fault-block mountains
• Rift Valleys, Mid Ocean Ridges • Basin and Range province ???
• Normal Fault Blocks as in East Africa
• Divergent Margins?
• Paradigm Shifts Origin of the Basin and Range
Southwestern North America
Looks different Paradigm Shifts Upwarped mountains
a) Gently bent without much deformation
b) Ascent of buoyant mantle material
c) Far from plate boundaries
d) Adirondack Mountains: Uplift of deep
PreCambrian Igneous and Metamorphic
rocks The Adirondack Mountains
of Northern New York
of Source: Clyde H. Smith/Allstock/Tony Stone Images Anticlines and Oil
Anticlines Early USA
anticlines Faults and Oil
View Full Document
- Winter '14
- Plate Tectonics, faults, Lewis Thrust Fault