Unformatted text preview: fat good for?
• Fat is an insulator for the vital organs
• Fat keeps infants warm (brown fat).
• Subcutaneous fat keeps us warm.
• Fat acts as a reservoir of calories to be
used in extreme, prolonged exertion,
during short famines and to support
pregnancy and lactation. Sexual dimorphism in fat
• Female fat patterns begin
to emerge after
• As estrogen levels rise in
females around puberty
(menarche), fat is
deposited on the belly,
hips and thighs.
• Without high levels of
estrogen, fat is deposited
around the wa...
View Full Document
- Fall '11
- Diabetes, subcutaneous fat, male fat pattern, Fat patterning, Female fat patterns