Unformatted text preview: , for
pregnant and nursing mothers,
before a major growth spurt and in
a cold climate.
– maladaptive when not pregnant or
nursing, growing or confronting
famine or where it’s hot.
famine • Gestational diabetes and/or
undernutrition of mothers during
pregnancy increased risk of obesity,
diabetes and heart disease for the
child. Fat patterning is:
– also influenced by poverty, stress
and • Complications of diabetes
– Increases risk for diabetes.
– iinfluences child growth and
development. • • • heart disease
damage to the retinas
damage to peripheral tissue. Diabetes:
– Is expensive to treat (cost of
health care will rise)
– leads to significant disability
– Is increasing in frequency....
View Full Document
- Fall '11
- Diabetes, subcutaneous fat, male fat pattern, Fat patterning, Female fat patterns