This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: e,
alu insert found in
about 1/3 of Jewish
men. Tandem Repeats
• Tandem repeats are “repetitive sequences [of
nucleotides] that occur at specific locations in the
• Size is between 100k to 1 million base pairs.
• Also called “satellites”.
• Micro- (1-7 bases) and mini-(8-100 bases) satellites are
• Individuals can be distinguished from each other by the
number of tandem repeats in a VNTR or STR.
– VNTRs (variable number tandem repeats)
– STRs (short tandem repeats).
– The greater the difference in number, the less they are
presumed to be closely...
View Full Document
This note was uploaded on 01/27/2014 for the course ANTH 02221 taught by Professor Rosado during the Fall '11 term at Rowan.
- Fall '11