This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: al or human
environments actually occurs through a personal lens
– – Our experiences with these real environments are actually
determined by how we perceive them to be, rather than by
how they actually are
Mental maps: a unique personal representation of reality.
- Mental maps are unique to individuals
- Imperfect Knowledge: people have only imperfect
knowledge of the environments in which they live
- Therefore, perception drives people behaviour Key Concepts in Human Geography II – Sept. 16, 2013 Human Geographies: Society & Culture Concepts: Perception & Mental Mapping
• Our perception of reality (our own metal map) is
Bottom X = Home
Top X = School
There's a path that should connect them
both. Assume there's a hill on the straight
Some people are lazy &a...
View Full Document
- Fall '08