This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: disease = spread across space & affects areas
Ex: Technology: apples new iPhone Two main forms of diffusion:
- Relocation: The spread of idea by physical
movement of people from one place to another. Ex:
Spread of Aids from California to New York.
Key Concepts in Human Geography II – Sept. 16, 2013 Human Geographies: Society & Culture Concepts: Diffusion
• Relocation Diffusion: the spread of ideas, cultural
characteristics: etc. from one area to another via the
physical movement of people.
– • e.g. immigrants = bring language, religion, culture Consider Hamilton:
– Surnames of residents in downtown Hamilton neighbourhoods:
• British, e.g. Jones, Smith, etc.
• Italian, e.g. Mancini, De Luca, etc.
• Portuguese, e.g. Silva, Santos, etc.
• Vietnamese. e.g. Nguyen, Pham, etc.
• - Not only do the people change, but the landscape changes
Key Concepts in Human Geography II – Sept. 16, 2...
View Full Document
This note was uploaded on 01/26/2014 for the course GEOG 1HA3 taught by Professor Peace during the Fall '08 term at McMaster University.
- Fall '08