This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: & Cultural Landscapes
• • Landscape: the visible human imprint on the land.
- Natural/physical environment (mountains)
- Human environment (urban, rural, suburban, etc) Cultural landscape: the outcome of interactions
between people (societies) & their enviornments.
- as a result of cultural adaptation
- all inhabited parts of Earth = cultural landscape Social/Cultural Geography V: Cultural & Symbolic Landscapes – Oct. 22, 2013 Human Geographies: Society & Culture Cultural Landscapes
• • Many different cultural landscapes; each the result of
cultural group adapting to its environment, and
modifying the environment to suit its needs.
Meaning & significance - transcend the cultural group
– – Symbolic landscapes – symbols of a culture and
what it stands for
E.g. Statue of Liberty = symbol of freedom, also
Roman Coliseum of roman empire and its power.
The Great Wall of China symbol of china
Social/Cultural Geography V: Cultural & Symbolic Landscapes – Oct. 22, 2013 Human Ge...
View Full Document
- Fall '08